1750

Our palace and grounds are built
The Quinta Nova, a winegrowing estate comprising a palace and grounds is built by José da Cruz, Treasurer to the King of Portugal, D. José.
1870

Quinta Nova change of owner
The palace and estate is acquired by the British Eastern Telegraph Company to use as a base for installing and developing a pioneering system of undersea cables from Carcavelos beach. The ground breaking technology changed history by connecting our globe for the first time with a new network of undersea communication cables.
1932

St. Julian’s School founded at Quinta Nova
To meet the needs of the large local British community and growing international population, St. Julian’s School was founded on the grounds of the Quinta Nova, on 24th November 1932. Our Founders were Mrs Bucknall OBE, Mrs Franklin CBE, Mr Etherington-Smith and Sir Claud Russell, the British Ambassador in Portugal. Our four school Houses are named after the founders. Our name derives from São Julião da Barra Fortress, overlooking nearby Carcavelos beach, originally constructed in the mid-16th century.
1935

The Bilingual Section
To meet the needs of the local community and ensure a true national and international ethos, the Bilingual Section of St. Julian’s School is founded.
1938

St. Julian's School Association
The St. Julian’s School Association is founded, a cultural and non-profit making organisation, to provide and support the provision of education.
1963

The Cable & Wireless Company sell the estate
The Cable & Wireless Company which had owned the Quinta Nova since 1870 decides to sell the estate. To keep the School open, and with no capital behind it and only tuition fees as income, St. Julian’s School receives generous donations and support from the British Council, the Gulbenkian Foundation, the Royal Society of St. George, Shell Portuguesa, Mobil Lda., the Telegraph Company and many private donors. The St. Julian’s School Association still oversees the running of the School to present day.
1985

Late Queen Elizabeth II visit to St. Julian's
Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II visited St. Julian’s School, an occasion that marked a significant moment in the school’s history. During her visit, she formally inaugurated the Primary building, which has since been known as the “Queen’s Building.”
1986

International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
St. Julian’s School becomes the first international school in Portugal to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB DP).
1998

Accreditations
St. Julian’s School is jointly accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) and by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). The School is successfully re-accredited in 2008 and November 2018.
2022

90th Anniversary of the founding of St. Julian’s School
2025

Career-related Programme (CP) authorisation
St. Julian’s is authorised to offer the CP. Students will choose between the broader IB or more focused CP, providing pathways into employment as well as further or higher education.